Wilted Kale & Sweet Potato Salad
This warm salad provides a beautiful contrast between hearty dark leafy greens and creamy orange potatoes. Its sweet flavor-rich sauce pairs wonderfully with roasted chicken or a pork tenderloin. Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side.
Serves: Serves 2 as main dish, 4 as a side
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups kale leaves, chopped (stems removed)
- ½ cup golden, seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tbsp honey
- ½ Tbsp port or other dessert wine
- ¼ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Heat oven to 400°. Peel and chop potatoes into 1” cubes and roast for 20 minutes until tender and just barely brown.
- In a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, sauté onions and garlic. Cook until onions are softened and garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add all dressing ingredients to the pan. Heat and stir until honey liquefies.
- Add kale to skillet, lightly sauté until kale starts to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine contents of skillet and sweet potatoes. Toss, top with raisins and serve warm.
If you’re not a fan of kale, use Swiss chard or hardy spinach instead.