This Vietnamese broth brimming with vegetables and herbs is popular around the world. Create your own signature version.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bite-sized green vegetables (snow peas, broccoli, bok choy)
- 6 oz thin rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or chili paste to taste
- 4 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Lime wedges
- In saucepan, bring chicken broth, water and soy sauce to a boil.
- Add chicken, ginger, and mushrooms. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Add green vegetables and simmer 1 minute more.
- In separate pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil for rice noodles.
- Break and stir in noodles. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Portion rice noodles and bean sprouts into deep soup bowls. Ladle broth into bowls and top with green onions, red chili flakes/paste, cilantro, basil, and lime.
You may substitute fish, shrimp or tofu instead of chicken. For a festive meal, make a platter with toppings and everyone can add their favorite ingredients.