Savory Baked Apples
This is a dessert that most people love from their childhood, but for some reason it now gets overlooked as not “special enough.” But special is exactly what it will be called when you make this recipe.
- 4 baking apples, such as Rome or Jonathan Gold
- 2 Tbsps brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Core apples to ½ inch of bottom.
- Combine the dry ingredients plus ½ teaspoon of the water in a small bowl and mix.
- Then spoon into the cavities of the apples until full.
- Set apples in an 8” x 8” baking pan. Pour remaining water in the bottom of the pan, seal the pan with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
- Serve warm. Optional toppings include a dollop of nonfat frozen yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
Use the remaining mixture by simmering 5-10 minutes and spooning it over the apples
before serving. Make extra apples for breakfast too!