Cinnamon Maple Granola
Wake up and taste the sweet crunch of homemade granola – guilt-free! Even the fats in this recipe are healthy, and it’s loaded with cholesterol fighting oatmeal. Just make sure to double the recipe, because this granola is a gift that says good morning! Stir into yogurt, or mix with fresh fruit and milk of your choice, for a snack that feels like an indulgence.
Serves: Makes 16 servings
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup light olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup, honey or cane syrup
- 1 cup raw, unsalted nuts such as walnut pieces or slivered blanched almonds
- 1 cup seeds such as flax, hulled pumpkin, sunflower
- 5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmegces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and maple syrup with nuts, seeds, grains and spices. Stir well and spread thinly onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes and stir mixture. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes until mixture is crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an air-tight container for about 12 weeks or in freezer for 1 month.
Combine grains, seeds, nuts, fruits and spices to your family’s liking. Note that while this recipe is higher in fat, it’s the healthier fats. Pack portions for snacks on the go.