Internal Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in Internal Medicine Residency at CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs. We offer a comprehensive training environment with accomplished and dedicated physicians and support staff. While medical
knowledge and patient care are paramount, we also focus on professionalism and interpersonal skills in the contexts of our hospital and community. We are intent on teaching our students and residents how to solve problems not only with their patients,
but also within our society. Our mission and vision have led us to train new physicians to have three important traits:
- Competence: Making patient care the number one priority
- Compassion: Caring with listening and empathy
- Excellence: Providing care that exceeds what patients expect
We have designed a curriculum that will prepare doctors to practice in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. This curriculum, designed around the ACGME Core Competencies, has a large number of electives. This has been done to allow a resident extra experience in the inpatient, outpatient, or specialty area where they intend to focus their career.
Several attributes of CHI and Hot springs makes medical education attractive:
- CHI has a diverse population with a large referral area and excellent case mix
- The Emergency Department has over 40,000 visits annually
- CHI is a Level II Trauma Center
- Our physicians represent most of the major subspecialties in addition to primary care
- Hot Springs has a lower cost of living than more urban areas
- The areas lakes, streams, mountains and trails are second to none
If you are interested in a community based Internal Medicine Residency Program, I would certainly encourage you to check our CHI in Hot Springs. Not only is our hospital a great place to learn and practice medicine, but our community has many unique things to offer including 3 beautiful lakes, the Ouachita Mountains, Oaklawn horse racing and casino, excellent public schools, downtown art galleries, (I could go on and on).
David Slay, M.D.
Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
CHI St. Vincent Hot Springs Residency Program
Hot Springs: A Great Place to Live, Work and Grow