No-Knead Seedy Bread
Reluctant to make your own bread? Ours is an easy, crusty, whole wheat bread that adds nutrition to any meal or snack. No kneading and only six ingredients!
Serves: Makes 12-16 one-half inch slices
- 1½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in any combination
- In a deep glass or ceramic bowl, activate yeast by whisking with warm water for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix with spatula.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set on counter for 8-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place Dutch oven, with lid, in oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle flour on a clean, dry surface to prevent dough from sticking. Place dough on surface, fold over a couple of times and form into a ball. Place seam-side down and cover with plastic wrap while Dutch oven heats.
- Carefully drop dough ball into heated Dutch oven, seam side up, and score the top with a knife, creating a “pound” sign.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook for an additional 5 minutes for top to brown. Cool bread for 40-60 minutes and serve.
Per slice: 140 calories, 6g protein, 23g carbohydrate (4g fiber), 3g fat (1g sat, 2g mono/poly),220mg sodium
For added flavor, roast seeds in a dry pan over medium/high heat until fragrant and golden, up to 10 minutes. This bread is excellent without seeds, too!.