How to Celebrate Safely with Fireworks
This nation’s Founders celebrated Independence Day with fireworks, and after 241 years, fireworks remain a July 4th holiday tradition. Some families may want to enjoy a professional fireworks display while others may want to purchase and use their own.
If you choose to shoot fireworks during your Independence Day celebration, keep in mind the risks of improper use because they can cause severe injuries. Common injuries include burns to the hands, face and head. Many fireworks injuries in are caused by misuse or malfunction of fireworks.
Tips to protect yourself against injury:
- Never allow children to light fireworks.
- Children should always have adult supervision, even when using sparklers, which can burn at a temperature of 2,000 degrees
- Only light one firework at a time
- Keep a safe distance from others when lighting fireworks
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device
- Buy fireworks from a licensed vendor
- Never buy fireworks wrapped in brown paper, as these are intended for professional displays
Please make sure to follow all county and city regulations when it comes to fireworks use, and enjoy your Independence Day!