Heart and Chest Surgery Procedures
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery - Bypass surgery redirects a blood vessel to “bypass” blockages so we can restore blood flow to the heart. This may be a traditional (open) or minimally invasive surgery.
- Heart Valve Replacement and Heart Valve Repair
- LVAD Placement
- Major Vascular Surgery
- Thoracotomy - a surgical procedure that allows doctors to visualize, biopsy or remove tissue from organs in the chest.
Structural Heart Care with Minimally Invasive Procedures
Supporting a Weak Heart
Mechanical circulatory support can be a temporary or durable option for patients suffering from a variety of conditions including heart failure, AMI, or cardiogenic shock. The CHI St Vincent Heart Institute team of cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons can provide a number of options for patients including:
- IABP An intra-aortic balloon pump to help your heart pump more blood.
- Impella is the world’s smallest heart pump. This device is inserted into the heart using minimally invasive surgery. It provides temporary support for patients who have heart failure or are in cardiogenic shock as the result of a heart attack.
- LVAD - Left-Ventricular Assist Device
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) is a mechanical device that supports the heart or lung function temporarily. This therapy supports patients in cardiac and respiratory failure. ECMO is used during life-threatening conditions such as severe lung damage from infection, or shock after a massive heart attack.